The Basics Of The ETA Canada Program

If you are looking to travel to Canada then you need to find out if you have to apply for the ETA Canada visa. This is something that any national from a country in the visa waiver program will need to apply for. There are currently 45 countries in the visa waiver program and any nationals from these countries will need to apply for ETA.

What Is ETA Canada?

ETA or the Electronic Travel Authorization is a system that allows Canada to screen anyone entering their country that would not need to apply for a visa. The eligibility of the visitor will be assessed once the application has been completed. Eligibility is based on a number of factors and will help Canada screen any security risks.

Can You Enter Canada With An ETA?

An approved ETA application does not authorize entry into Canada. Once you have an approved application you will be able to travel to a port of entry into Canada. At this point, an immigration official will review your case and they authorize or deny entry into the country.

How Long Is The ETA Valid For?

If you have successfully applied for an ETA, it will be valid for 5 years. However, if you are issued a new passport before the 5 years has passed then you will need to apply for a new ETA. This is due to the ETA being linked to the old passport.

Can You Modify Information Once The Application Has Been Submitted?

The ETA application is filled in online and once you have submitted it you will not be able to change any of the information. This is why it is recommended that you take your time completing the application and review it before you submit it. If any of the information on the application is incorrect the application will generally be denied. You may be able to resubmit an application, but this will depend on the reason for the application being denied.

What To Do If The Application Is Denied

If your application is denied then you will have to apply for a visa to enter Canada. This visa that you are going to need to apply for is the temporary resident visa and this will need to be done through your nearest Canadian visa processing office. You will also lose the fee that you have paid for the ETA application.